Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Firenze and Orvietto

Two weekends ago I went back to Florence to see Caroline and to go to Orvietto. She found Castello Santa Cristina, an old castle on top of a hill in Orvietto, where we went horseback riding with another friend. The trail took us to the largest volcanic lake in Italy, Lake Bolsena. We rode all day, through woods, past Etruscan ruins, through vineyards and fields. The views the entire time were spectacular, and what made it even better was that the guide let us really ride our horses, cantering and galloping. We stopped for lunch along the water, where we had a leisurely meal with some other people from the castle, and took a nap along the dock. It was absolutely amazing to get back in the saddle and ride again. Riding is such a big part of me, and I was on cloud nine the entire day. It made me realize just how much I miss it. I'm more determined than ever to make it more of a routine in my life.
Our guide on the ride was one of the most interesting people I've met. Vicki has traveled all over the world, working her way from country to country. She ranched in New Zealand and Australia, has worked in Cambodia, Laos, Mongolia, Germany, and has been to South America. Being that free and experiencing such unique aspects of a country sounded amazing. She had so many stories!
















The next day we went to the top of Giotto's Bell Tower in Florence since the Duomo was closed.









No comments:

Post a Comment