Friday, October 21, 2011

Sorrento and Capri

I had a very short weekend in Sorrento this past weekend with a day trip to Capri. Two of my closest friends from home were visiting Italy, and I met them down there. Sorrento was a beautiful little town with a lot of character. Being on the water was a welcomed change of pace, especially in terms of food. In Italy, each region has its own food that stems from locally available ingredients. They don't import food as much in the U.S.-the food options change every season. (lots of pumpkin dishes right now in Perugia-in heaven) Umbria has amazing food, but since it is a land-locked region, there is no seafood. Sorrento is right on the water, meaning tons of fish! The area is also famous for it's citrus, and in particular, lemons. They don't just grow average, run-of-the-mill lemons there though, they grow gigantic, pushing three pound, lemons. 


I didn't even know they existed!

The views from basically everywhere were amazing. The windy, narrow roads down from our hotel were a bit treacherous, sometimes with no guard rails, but with a view like this, I could get used to it.

And this was the view from the hotel at night...

We mostly just wandered around Sorrento, but we ate at a wonderful restaurant called Cafe Latino, where we ate in a closed gazebo surrounded by space heaters. I was very surprised at how cold it got at night, considering how far south we were. The waiter suggested I try a fish millefeuille as an appetizer, and I haven't been misguided by any waiters so far, so I gave it a shot.
It was a small local fish wrapped in thin slices of eggplant, topped with tomato sauce. It was absolutely delicious. Since I've been in Italy, I have also been enjoying eggplant. I didn't like it before I left- I obviously didn't have it prepared properly because I have enjoyed it grilled, sauteed, and used as a wrap like in this appetizer. Completely converted. Now all I have to do is learn how to make it myself for when I go home. 
Sunday we went to Capri, which was absolutely gorgeous. The water was beautiful, the steep cliffs that surrounded the harbor were stunning, and the view from Anacapri was amazing.
















It was a beautiful day, and though I missed the blue grotto, I felt like I got a good sense of the island. It's just an excuse to go back and see more!!





No comments:

Post a Comment