Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fall Break- Venice


I know I've already written about Venice before, but I'll briefly talk about our time in Venice over break. The traveling there was interesting, as always. I thought that it would be worth arriving early in the morning again, because I loved it so much the other time I went. It was not quite the same this time. We had to take a short train to the other Florence train station, and wait until 1:00 AM to get on the train to Venice. We had quite a bit of time to kill at the station, and it was raining, so we decided to set up camp homeless style and nap/try not to get robbed while we waited for the train...

We were literally by the last bench on the platform, and some guy decided to come sit, which we clearly interpreted as he was going to steal our stuff. Casual.

Traveling in style.

Of course, our train was late. Another thing to mention about these overnight trains, they're normally very crowded, but if you're one of it's first stops, you can be obnoxious and selfish and take up two seats in the sleeping car to lay down on. It's either that, or awkwardly avoiding touching a strangers knees/ playing footsie with them for 5+ hours. Sometimes, you have to be rude. Semi-comfort on a train is a luxury only gained by being an ass. After a long train ride, we got to beautiful Venice in pitch black (good thing I remembered Daylight Savings Time!) in pouring rain, which makes for lovely sunrise watching. We waited in the train station and decided when the sun started coming up that we should just get to our Bed and Breakfast and check in. We stayed at the cutest Bed and Breakfast on Lido, the tiny little island across from Venice. It's about 20 minutes by ferry (the only form of public transportation throughout Venice). Lido is absolutely adorable. It's much less touristy and smaller than Venice itself, and has a cute residential vibe. The woman who owned the B&B was darling, and spoke Italian and French, but was working on her English (at least I could muddle through two languages to communicate with her). 
We went from Lido into Venice to see the city and to look for a place to eat. I have to say, the only things I ever want in Venice are 1. Seafood risotto from Da Romano 2. Seafood of any kind because I can't find it in Perugia. Da Romano single handedly changed my entire perspective on what food, let alone risotto and seafood, could be. Unfortunately, when we went to Burano it was closed- I was heartbroken. A problem with wanting seafood in Venice is that it's very overpriced in my opinion. However, it is beautiful.




I have to be honest, Venice felt kind of rushed, which was definitely my fault. It was hard to make time to see everything and plan to get to the airport to get to Paris. I love Venice, but we definitely need to go back when we have more time to dedicate to it. Grant and I had a blast though, and great company and a good glass of wine can make any place wonderful.






The best hot chocolate ever, made by Lindt. Spicy pepper hot chocolate. Perfect on a chilly day. So decadent.



Nothing like drinking wine around Venice. Delicious wine courtesy of Paula.




No comments:

Post a Comment