Friday, November 11, 2011

The Power of Food

It's fairly obvious that my travels throughout Italy have been very food-centric. I believe food is one of the best ways to unpack a culture and get to know it. It also has an overwhelming power to comfort. There is absolute truth in the term "comfort food". The other night, I was at two friends birthday dinners at Dal Mi Coco, an entirely pre-fixe restaurant in Perugia. The second course was a gigantic bowl of soup for the table. It was a basic chicken noodle soup, nothing special, but the way the broth made me feel brought me right back to the days when my mom would simmer bones all day with just a few vegetables. It doesn't take much to please with food, just a simple, happy memory tied to the dish.
The night before, a few of my guy friends had a rough weekend, and looked pretty defeated when I saw them. I made them minestrone soup (kind of- no recipe, just veggies I thought would make a good stew and some tomato sauce and broth) since it was chilly, and hearty because they looked like they needed something filling. The act of cooking was enough for them to appreciate, but they ate the entire pot of soup. Food has amazing power, and sharing it is one of the best ways to bring people together.
With that, enjoy this article from NPR, and think what a little extra time in the kitchen can mean for someone else.

Showing Compassion Through Food

No comments:

Post a Comment